Friday, November 04, 2005

racism: are we the world?


Today I will have a meeting with the police about racial abuse problem. A few weeks ago, while I was walking to the university, a teenager boy was cycling straight to me and when he came closer, he knocked my head with his hand. I was very furious at that time. But it was so sudden that I could not think how to react. I went to talk with the International student advisor in the Uni. She recommended that I should contact the police.

I told her that many Asian and African students still encounter the same problem and we are not happy about it. Then, I went back, sending an email to inform every student who I know they have had the same experience. We finally agree to report this to the police. The Advisor has made an appointment with the policeman and will organise a meeting for us. Keep fingers crossed it will be sorted out.

This is an unhappy time during my study. Teenagers always hang around at shops near my house and do everything which is a nuisance, such as, riding a moter bike at high speed in a village street, throwing pebbles and dry wood at us, yelling cursing words, drawing attention from us with a rubbish talk.
They are quite intimidating. I don't care for those rubbish talks and rude words. But for physical attack is unacceptable.

No comments: